You should be able to…
- State the purpose of the CPU
- Draw or explain the Von Neuman architecture (Memory Address Register, Memory Data Register, Program Counter, Accumulator)
- Describe common CPU components and their function (Arithmetic Logic Unit, Control Unit and Cache)
- Understand the fetch, decode and execute cycle
- Understand how common characteristics of CPUs affect their performance (clock speed, cache size, number of cores)
Answer the questions on this sheet (1.1 Systems Architecture Notes) to create a full set of notes about this topic
Now have a go at the Knowledge Check 1 to check your understanding of the information!
You need to have notes that cover the following…
- Clock Speed
- Number of Cores
- Cache Size
Now have a go at the Knowledge Check 2 to check your understanding of the information!