You should be able to…
- Define what is meant by a Local Area Network
- Explain the advantages of using a Local Area Network
- Define what is meant by a Wide Area Network
- Understand the factors that affect the performance
- Understand the hardware needed to create a Local Area Network (NICs, Switches, Routers, Cables)
You need to use pages 13 and 14 of your revision guide to create a set of notes on this topic. Your notes should include the following information;
- What is a Local Area Network?
- What are the advantages of using a Local Area Network?
- What is a Wide Area Network?
- What factors affect the performance of a Network?
- What hardware would you need to create a Local Area Network and explain the purpose of each hardware device (NIC, Switch, Router, CAT 5/6 cable, Fibre Cable)
Create a Network
Now, work through the step by step part of this link to create your own Local Area Network.